Zorah biocosmétiques began when a young Canadian woman working abroad came across a Berber women’s cooperative where Argan oil is farmed, marketed and exported
In 2003, as a volunteer on an international cooperation project in Morocco with the Alternatives organization, Mélissa Harvey, president and founder of Zorah biocosmétiques, discovers the properties of Argan oil. This precious oil, which has been used in Morocco for centuries, contains extraordinary dietary, pharmaceutical and cosmetic properties. It is extracted from the fruit of the Argan tree–a tree unique to Morocco–which is grown to fight desertification and happens to be protected by UNESCO.
Once back home, Mélissa teams up with Richard Morin, Zorah’s vice-president, and creates a high-end line of cosmetic products made in Quebec, using the famous Argan oil as a base. Environmentally conscious, they make it their mission to create an organic, environmentally friendly and fair-trade line of products.
After three years of research and investments, Zorah’s Canadian biochemists develop Arganol using organic Argan oil as a main ingredient. This is the same Argan oil from the Moroccan women’s cooperative that hosted Mélissa in 2003.
Mélissa and Richard have accomplished their mission: Zorah biocosmétiques is not only recognized for the quality and effectiveness of its products and service, but the entire line was created ecologically using only the finest organic and fair-trade ingredients. They also acquired the know-how to develop an affordable, fair-trade quality product using a method with the least harmful effects on the environment.
President and Founder
Vice-president and co-founder
Prizes and Awards
- Grand Prix Beauté ELLE Québec – ELLE Canada – Nyxe winner in the facial mask category above $40 – 2017
- 4 prix at Clean Beauty Awards : Best Mascara – Lengthening Mascara ; Best Eye Care – ora ; Finalist Eye Care – lifting serum
- Best Body Care – maeva – 2016
- Best Mascara of the year at the « Clean Beauty Awards » – 2015
- Grand Prix Beauté ELLE Québec – ELLE Canada – Xia winner in the best certified natural care category – 2013
- Winner of the award Inspiration catégorie entreprise (Inspiration-category industry) awarded by the CDÉC North-Central – 2011
- Finalist in the Entrepreneurial VoirGrand.tv – 2010
- Grand Prize Winner Desjardins Entrepreneurs in the category Jeunes Entrepreneurs ouest du Québec – 2009
- October 2009: Zorah is amongst the top 20 finalists named in the survey EDIT (Entreprises diversifiées et talentueuses).
- Bursary recipient of Mayor of Montreal Foundation – 2007
- Bursary recipient of the SAJE for the Metro Montréal region – 2007
- Finalist in the des Anges financiers contest for the Young Entrepreneurs Bursary – 2007
- First prize in the yearly contest for female entrepreneurs for the company F, 2007 edition
- Second Prize in the Quebecois National Contest for entrepreneurship in the Internet Category Company Creation,
- Operation, Developement and Production – 2007
- First prize in the Quebecois Contest in Internet Strategy for Entrepreneurship – 2007